Wednesday, February 10, 2016

It's GO Time!!!

Alright people it’s go time!!! Marathon training has officially begun!

Let the 16 week count down begin....


I’ve dabbled a little bit here and there in the runs that I have scheduled and I have to admit this is not going to be easy. I have a ton of work to do. Especially speed work. My right shin has been bothering me so I saw Dr. Gomez right away. I certainly don’t want to miss any of this marathon training time, so I acted quick…be proud. It’s not like me at all. I typically put things like this off until I can’t walk anymore. I learned my lesson last time for sure. Gah!

My balance and stability checked out fine, my strength is still good, but with these long miles I have been putting in, my arches seem to be collapsing causing over pronation and the dreadful shin splints. Orthotics is the answer! He placed my feet into these cool forms and shipped ‘em off. Hopefully, I get the call that they are ready soon.

Until then I have been icing immediately post run and foam rolling…ahhhh it hurts so good. I have taken ibuprofen a couple of times but I'd rather not mask any injury that might be popping up, so I tend to be VERY conservative.



I am dedicated to strength training during the next 16 weeks. What every fast marathon runner has in common is strength!...look at a couple of these gals:

Wow!

I have scheduled kettlebell class every Monday at 5:30 for an overall body strengthening. Then every other Thursday right after work I’ll be meeting with Brent for some one on one personal strength training. Right now we are focusing on my hip flexors, gluteus medius, and obliques. He gives me lots of homework to do in my spare time-what’s that? and keeps me super accountable.



Let’s not forget about diet. I have been slacking in this area big time. I’m not a horrible eater; however, I have not been eating to fuel my body, that’s for sure. So I pledge to all of you right now that today it begins. I will only put things into my body that will help me accomplish my goals! Here it comes, my only exception, is the occasional glass of red wine, but never before a long run or race.



I’m really excited to see what this process is going to result!

Week 16:
Speed work- 10-20 min warm up, 1600 7:02 pace x3 with 400 RI, 10 min cool down
Tempo run- 2 miles easy, 2 miles 7:35, 2 miles easy
Long run- 13 miles 8:53 pace
Kettlebell class
Strength on my own
Free run
Rest
(not necessarily in that order)


What are your running goals this week?
Do you have any tricks or tips for shin splints??

2 comments:

  1. I hope we don't mess you up this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dont worry, I adapted my plan....unless you wanna do 13 with me??

    ReplyDelete