Sunday, September 6, 2015

Gah!

How can you be so frustrated when this is your view??!




I've been steadily running about 3 miles each day...today was a complete failure.
At the time I didn't know why. I've been doing so well. I've been holding back the mileage but definitely cranking out the speed. About a mile in I felt a dull ache. Then at 1.2 miles...OUCH! 


That very familiar left lower leg pain became severe and started to radiate to my ankle.


This time I listened to my body and stopped right away. I then walked the 1.2 miles back to my Jeep super frustrated, but decided to distract myself with all the positive things in my life. Lets see...I have two legs. Up until the last 5 weeks I've been a successful runner. I have a loving family. Very supportive husband. A good job. Annnnd all of you. Obviously if I broke it down, there is so much more, but this is a blog not a novel!

Every time I hit an obstacle, (in life not the actual obstacle course) I try and find some deeper meaning hidden in it. So what is it this time? Patience? Sometimes you just fail at things and that's ok (Acceptance)? Perseverance? The act of not giving up. Maybe its all of them...I'm going to try to work on this mindset.

I grabbed a salad from core, my favorite place, on my way home and ate it slowly with tears in my eyes and went straight to bed. Tomorrow is a new day.  I arranged a date with Brent Morehouse, a health and fitness coach. We spoke on the phone for 35 mins and then arranged a 90 minute assessment to determine the root cause of  my pain and injury. The goal is to establish criteria from which a functional training program could be developed. This "systems approach" evaluation begins with identifying imbalances in structure (posture) and dysfunctional movement patterns (function), as well locating tender trigger points, mobility restrictions, coordination and balance issues.


 I have a feeling he is going to change my life....

2 comments:

  1. Matt has commented a few times that maybe I should work with a trainer as I seem to always have something go wrong when I start getting over those 8 mile runs. Will be curious to hear your thoughts on your experience. I might be convinced to try as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll update you as I progress, but I definitely see a difference already!!

    ReplyDelete