Monday, August 31, 2015

Become a Warrior

If your bored of the traditional 5K, looking for a new challenge, something to test more of your strength and fitness. Or are you just a big kid longing for an adult jungle gym covered in mud...then this is for you! 


We signed up for the warrior Dash with The Spagnola's. The closest one to us was about 3hrs away in Pennsylvania, but I didn't mind the drive. 


We planned this adventure before my injury, so I was a little nervous about how my leg would hold up throughout the obstacle courses. I came prepared with Ibuprofen (I know its almost like cheating) and my awesome compression socks. My belly gets super nervous before any race, I'm not sure why, but it happens every time. I need to find the closest bathroom 15mins beforehand-which is typically a set of porta potties and runners in their various matching outfits. 
The pre race photo is a must.


oh and this one


Groups of people go out in waves, so that the course doesn't get too crowded. The music is loud, it definitely pumps you up! People are cheering and dancing and high fiving before we even start. The announcer comes over the loud speaker to count us down-the crowd joins in, 3,2,1 ...and we are off in a fire blasting start...more cheering, more screaming, super exciting. There are different fitness levels of the participants which makes the trails not very crowded, some are super fast and incredibly fit and some are walking and totally in it for the obstacle challenge... we were on the high end of the spectrum. The trails became muddier as we progressed through and the choice of to get muddy or to follow the crowd around the edge of the trail? This is what we came here for right? Plow right through the mud, I say! I bent down and grabbed a handful. As I began to throw it, I was caught....Phil gave me that look as if to say "You better be prepared for what you are starting" which would equal an all out wrestling match in the middle of the coarse...I was not prepared, I gently tossed it his way and got the back of his shirt a tad muddy and we moved on. We climbed over several wooden structures, scaled walls, trudged through mud mountains and pits, army crawled under barbed wire, walked the tight rope with cold water pouring in our faces, and finally climbed high to the largest wet slid EVER....that resulted in a mud bath (I forgot to plug my nose-blah!)...Then the fire jumping finally and a congratulatory beer.


 I chose PUMPKIN!!
 



They had a DJ on stage playing the latest and greatest, so we weren't surprised when a dance party ensued.
 
 
Lunch time!


All  in all a great Saturday.


My leg felt good and I was feeling pretty accomplished this week, so of course I wanted more...3 more miles! This time with my music and my watch. I've only been naked running since the injury (no electronics) to really give me a chance to listen to my body. I went out fast and kept up a decent pace, by 2.5 miles my leg started to ache and I realized I didnt have my compression sock on-they were way to muddy. I decided to end at 3 and walk home. I thought I made a huge mistake because my silly leg began to ache, my insides began to cry. As soon as I got home I iced it and wrapped it with an ace wrap-super tight. Took more Ibuprofen and prayed I didnt do too much.


Do you think my neighbors noticed all the mud in my hair?



How was your weekend?

Where are you at in your training?

Do you have any lingering injuries?

1 comment: